You Turn by Marion Croslydon | Review



This book has impressed me beyond belief, and can easily go down as one of my favorites of 2014. Read more below to view my thoughts on this incredible piece of fiction.















You Turn | Marion Croslydon
Pages: 255 (Nook Version)
Genre: Adult Contemporary, Romance
Publishing Date: October 6, 2014
Format: Ebook
Source: Publishing Company

Get It Here | Goodreads













"I was the little girl who loved you from afar. I was the woman who gave herself away for you and ended up losing a lot of who she was."



"Then allow me to give back some of what I stole."


After being dumped by her fiancé, Eleanor Carrington flees to Paris to help her self-medicated mother. While keeping her mom from popping pills like gummy bears, Eleanor launches a new, no-strings-attached life plan with absolutely NO falling in love whatsoever. On her part at least, because her self-esteem could do with one or two Frenchmen going un peu crazy for her.


What she doesn’t need is for her first Grand Amour, Zachary Murdoch, to burst back into her life. Whatever shit-show she’s just been through was a stroll. What Zach put her though was a climb up Mount Everest. Barefoot. In a bikini.


Now a club-owner in Paris, Zach is intrigued by the troubled woman who was once the sweet girl he had to give up. Offering a shoulder for her to cry on is what he owes her. Loving her is what he lost the right to. Because there’s a reason he broke up with Lenor and that reason is why she’s in Paris.


But Paris is known as the City of Love…


Will he be her turn at love?




Hey there fANGIRL Readers,

Before I begin my rambling, I just want to mention that You Turn is one of the best books I've read so far this year. To say that I devoured this novel is an understatement, and giving it just a 5 star rating feels almost insulting.

Let's begin . . . 

We buckle up for an emotional ride with Eleanor Carrington, our main protagonist. 24 year old "Lenor", is fresh from a break up, leaving the D.C Native (my home city btw!) hurt, bitter, and incredibly frustrated. She's back in Paris, where she spent her childhood years before leaving home to study at Georgetown University, but is left with no time to pull herself together after her failed relationship with her ex-fiance Josh. Another dish of this-can't-be-my-life-right-now has once again been served steaming hot. 

What's on her menu you ask? 

For starters, 

A Hearty Entree of: 
My Mother OD'd On Pills. 

A bitter, not refreshing, but refreshing enough glass of: 
She Survived.

To wrap up the meal with something to intensify your palate,

A Sweet Decadent Desert of: 
The Man Who Broke My Heart 5 Years Ago, Has Suddenly Made His Way Back Into My Life.

Yea, you can most certainly say she has alot on her plate.

Dealing with her own life ontop her recovering addict of a mother, is enough to drive someone insane. * Cue drum-roll! * In comes Mr.Heartbreaker to the rescue!

Zachary Murdoch lll is the epitome of the perfect "love interest." He and Lenor were childhood friends and neighbors. They both grew up in Paris to wealthy parents, and immediately formed a very complicated friendship. Lenor was much younger than Zach, and in many ways it definitely showed. Zach was into partying, drinking, sex, and experimenting with drugs. While, Eleanor proved to be such a sweet and innocent young girl. Despite her parent's disapproval, especially her father's, she fell for the lover boy, but in the end was left brokenhearted. Now 5 years later, Zach has found a way to wiggle back into her life, (not intentionally . . . well partially), and has hopes of rekindling his friendship with Eleanor. 

I was completely swept of my feet with his character, but we'll get to that soon enough. 

The story is told in not-so alternating chapters switching from first Zach, to Eleanor. It travels effortlessly, between the past, (5 years ago) and to the present day. What's interesting, is that all chapters covering the past events were only viewed from Zachary's POV, which happened to be one of my favorite aspects of this story. I don't think I've see this much character growth in a story just yet. Reading Zach's thoughts when he was younger, was a leap of a difference from the man he actually turned out to be. Thank goodness it wasn't one of those one-chapter-I'm-this-way-and-the-next-I'm-a-completely-different-person type of stories. Nope, this story was paced to where you felt as if you were growing up with the characters as well. Not too slow of a pace, but not too fast and rushed either. Younger Zach was definitely a confused soul. Alot of things were happening in his life, especially surrounding his parents, and I don't think he knew how to handle it. He was so hot and cold towards Eleanor. One minute he seemed to have no interest in her at all, then the next he was the "ideal boyfriend," taking her for rides on his boat "Renegade", to kissing her passionately on the beach. Eleanor was so fragile to him, which I believed was the reasoning behind his behavior. He wanted to love her, but was so conflicted with his feelings, he didn't know how to express it. But older, present day Zach was so much different. You can see and feel, the love he had for Lenor, and some of his gestures were so incredibly sweet, even I felt a tinge of jealousy. But it was almost painful to witness them try to remain just friends, when clearly both wanted more. I can't count how many times I mentally begged Eleanor to forgive Zachary for the pain he inflicted onto her heart those years ago. The man had definitely redeemed himself. 


" Sometimes our first love is also meant to be our last. Mistakes are made, but we learn to grow from them, and then we do. "

I was completely #TeamZachary until I discovered the secret he had been hiding for years. The heart shattering, bone chilling, where's-the-nearest-toilet-because-I'm-so-disgusted-&-need-to-throw-up secret. 

Okay I'm lying, I was still rooting for Zachary even after shit hit the fan, but only because I believe people deserve second chances!


After finishing the story, I literally laid in bed and said "There is no way I can just give this book 5 stars." I felt like 5 stars just wasn't enough, and it isn't. First of all, another aspect of the story that I loved so much was the writing. My goodness, You Turn is so . well . written . The words, the dialogue, the everything just had such an amazing flow to it. So slow, and smooth like honey. The writing was beautiful to me, and not in a classic or gimmicky type of way, just simple. Simple, but yet complex all at the same time. I also was captivated completely by the back drop of the story . . . Paris. 

From the places that were referenced, to the cuisine, (thanks to my love of Food Network, I was familiar with all the dishes) and even the language used in the dialogue, I felt as if I were actually there. I pictured myself as Eleanor at a Parisian cafe, sipping some expensive French wine from an equally expensive glass with my freshly French manicured nails, saying,

" Bonjour " or " Salut "

to everyone that passed by because obviously these are the only two words that I know lol. 

Reading the dialogue, especially when in French was such a pleasure. Whenever I would read the words aloud in my head, I always formed this thick accent, where the words just rolllleeeddd off the tongue, and most of the French dialogue were translated in English, so you're not entirely confused and scrambling to use google for an explanation. 

" Vous ne pouvez pas vous passer I'une de l'autre. Vous venez de vous quitter. "
You can't get enough of each other. You said goodbye only a few hours ago. 

Last but certainly not least, we can't forget about the plot. To me this story's plot is very reminiscent to a minor car crash. The ones where you're driving down the road, wind in your hair, singing your favorite song, then out of nowhere, Wham! Someone runs into the back of your car. You just knew from the sound and feel of the impact that things weren't going to be okay. So you get out to check your car, only to find out that there's little to no damage. You have a few bruises, just a couple of scratches, and so does the other driver who caused the accident. But you're fine. You're both fine. All is forgiven.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

So, from this confession, you can clearly see that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Usually I find things about the story that I disliked, but there was absolutely nothing about this book I would change. I mean, the story was just so well thought out, even the freaking cover (which is so luscious btw) has something to do with the story. I will forever praise Ms.Croslydon for her craft, and will continue to support her work. She has definitely gained a new fan. 
I vow to rant, rave, holler, whatever about this book, until everyone that I know, and don't know, reads it. 

It won't let you down. It won't disappoint. I promise. 

                                    
                       Jusqu'à la prochaine fois,
Till next time . . . I think lol.

                                              

        


4 comments

  1. Awesome review! Thank you, I'm so happy you liked it. Marion X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ms.Croslydon, I have to read more of your work!

      Delete
  2. I love how you quoted french words in this review, made me suddenly miss the days I could actually speak french...Well, kind of. Lol. I'm going to have to read this book too, since you liked it so much. Awesome review, Tika! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Girl after I read this I was walking around the house with my cranberry juice in a wine glass pretending to be French. My mom was so annoyed lmao. You know I never steer you wrong with recommendations. This book is a really good adult contemporary and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. lmao

      Delete