Sex, Lies, & Cruising ARC Review -- What A Lifesaver

Sex, Lies, & Cruising | Cathryn Chapman
Release Date: July 16, 2015
Genre(s): New Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 280
Edition: Kindle
Source: Author
Rating:



Exotic locations, sexy men, and crazy crew parties… Ellie has her dream job… or does she?

When Ellie's fiancé cheats on her with a younger, slimmer, blonde from the office, she boots him out of her life and finds solace in a fabulous photography job aboard a Caribbean cruise ship. Twenty-four hours on board and she’s already shagged her sexy Texan colleague, who happens to love her muffin-top. Unfortunately he’s leaving in a week, and his ex-girlfriend, a hot-headed Brazilian with stripper moves right out of the 90s and a talent for stealing boyfriends, is still on board and out for revenge.

Ellie must work out how to deal with the loco ex, sort the lying scumbags from the good guys, and figure out how many crew members in a cabin it takes before officially becoming group sex. Who the hell knows? (It’s five, actually.) It’s a world completely unlike the one she left behind, but as she tries to find her place on board, Ellie discovers laughter and tears in equal measure. And in the midst of the craziness, she realises the greatest thing this lifestyle change has given her is the chance to rediscover herself.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author/publisher. This does not affect my opinion or views regarding the book whatsoever.

For the entire month of July, my good friend Sanovia from over at Creatvybooks, hosted a wonderful blog event called A Month Of Indies. As you can most likely tell from the title, all participants were asked to showcase one, two, or however many authors to not only spread the word, but to support the indie movement. I had 3 indie authors patiently waiting in my queue, so I decided to kill multiple birds with one stone. ICYM my first AMOI review post for The Beginning Of Never by O.E Boroni, you can check it out here

Sex, Lies, & Cruising was truly a lifesaver for me. It felt as if I was drowning in all my past crappy reads, and with this book being so awesome, it threw me a rope and life jacket, and hauled my non-swimming ass right back to safety. 

If I haven't mentioned this enough, New Adult is my all time favorite genre, and after flicking (use I FLICKED it) the last page to chapter one, I just knew this would be the " one " to pull me out of my slump. Ellie our main character wasn't exactly my personality twin, but she was someone I could easily see myself befriending in real life. Newly single and a tad bit heartbroken, (okay more than a tad lol) she boards " The Galene " a cruise ship, where she'd be working as a photographer for 6 months. By the title I should've assumed this story would be a raging party in a nutshell, however, I wasn't completely prepared for the fun ride I received.

Not To Deep. If it's one thing I didn't need as a recovering slumper was a book with a complex plot, so imagine my excitement when I realized just how light and fun the story turned out to be. It's fast paced, and packed with some ridiculously over-the-top scenes, giving me a good laugh I seriously needed. This definitely was a breath of fresh air from what I was reading.

Oh Hey BFF. Another one of my favorite aspects of this story would be the characters. OH MY LAMB, I haven't read about a bunch of wild & crazy individuals in sooo long, that I was actually caught off guard by some of the situations and dialogue. (In a good way) Ellie was my homegirl, but her roommate Caitlin could definitely be labeled as my spirit animal. I just loved how sure of herself she was, I mean this girl gave two shits what anyone thought about her! I will admit that some things she did were a little . . . questionable, but she was so full of life that you couldn't help but to be drawn to her. Cait and I could so hang out . . . if she was real that is.

Mad Dash. The only downfall to this novel was the pacing. I loved that it was a fast and easy read, but I felt most of the scenes moved a little too quickly for my taste. Some situations were resolved in an unrealistic timing, causing the plot to bounce around and be a bit all over the place. After a while I was able to get used to it, but if there was anything I could change, I would slowwwww the story down just a notch . . . maybe two.

All in all, I am forever grateful that I read Sex, Lies, & Cruising. There were a few minor hiccups here and there, but with the pleasant writing, easy going plot, and loco characters, it was really hard for me NOT to enjoy this novel. Besides, how can I not love a book that rescued me from my 2 month slump disaster? New adult apparently never lets me down . . . okay that's a lie but whatever

Post a Comment