The Assassin's Blade By Sarah J Maas -- All The Feels


The Assassin's Blade | Throne Of Glass 0.1-0.5
Author: Sarah J Maas
Release Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre(s): Young Adult, Fantasy
Pages: 448
Edition: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Rating:



Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.


She Was Fire. She Was Darkness.
She Was Blood, Dust
                                          And Shadow . . .
Is it really a surprise to most that I'm loving this series? Definitely. 

I'm not exactly a " series reader. " In fact, The Lunar Chronicles, will be the first series I've read and completed in my adult years. (I'm not counting Harry Potter & books I read as a kid) The thing is, I lose interest fast, and sometimes I get to the point where I get tired of reading about the same world, same characters, same . . . you know, stuff. I also have terrible commitment issues when it comes to books, (and working out but that's another story) so the thought of actually sitting my booty down and reading multiple books in a series, was enough to give me a headache. Buttttt, it takes a special kind of author, (like Marissa Meyer obviously) to not only grab, but to KEEP my attention, and I'm happy to say that Maas is doing that and then some.
What To Expect

Fangirl Breakdown


Slow StartEmotional

This is what I call the " Throne Of Glass Syndrome. " The beginning starts off a bit slow, just as it did for me in TOG, but it definitely picks up after the first two novellas. But don't give up, they get BETTER trust me.

Ragged breathing, bloodshot eyes, sweating palms, tear stained everything. The connection between reader and the characters, (especially Celaena & Sam) in these novellas are cranked all the way up. Expect the worst and fucking prepare for it.

Fangirl Breakdown


Reading The Assassin's Blade was like looking through a microscope of Celaena's life. In both Throne Of Glass and Crown Of Midnight, you don't entirely get a sense of who she was before arriving at the glass castle to serve the king. You can tell SOMETHING happened, because although she's snarky, lively, and so full of her damn self, you can almost feel the wall she's wedged between herself and others. As I mentioned, in the first two novellas, The Assassin And The Pirate Lord as well as The Healer, kicked off a bit slowly. Now don't get me wrong, they were both rather entertaining, especially since we finally met Sam Cortland himself, but it isn't until you reach The Assassin And The Desert where the story takes the fantastic turn that Maas is known for perfecting. 
   
If you're looking for the same badassery Celaena displayed in Crown Of Midnight, don't worry, you won't have to look far. It's action packed and just as gruesome, exactly what we'd expect from our favorite assassin.

My name is Celaena Sardothien,  she whispered,  and I will not be afraid. 

The emotional connection I had with this story is what really made this a complete hit for me. If you've already read Throne Of Glass, (which 99% of you have) then you know that alot of The Assassin's Blade was pretty much one big ball of mini spoilers. What's amazing, is that it didn't take away an ounce of the feelings I had, especially while reading The Assassin And The Empire. We already knew something terrible was going to happen to Sam, HOWEVER, I damn sure wasn't expecting it to rip my heart out, and toss it into the next day's trash. I loved the raw beauty of being able to see Celaena broken, lost, even vulnerable, and as the end of the book slowly approaches, you can't help but to wonder whether she'll rise from the ashes like a phoenix, or if she'll cower in a corner like a nervous dog. The thread of betrayal and disloyalty is weaved so thick through these novellas, you're damn near choking on it, and unfortunately for us, as far as feels go, don't expect to get a happy ending that will help repair your damaged soul. Maas has this evil way of giving us these super emotional cliff-hangers, that leave us fiending for the next installment.

 This series has everything you could possibly want, a killer protagonist, (literally) action packed scenes, fast pacing, swoon-worthy boys, an engaging plot line that keeps the reader hooked book after book . . . I mean the list could seriously go on and on. So if you've missed the Throne of Glass train before, I HIGHLY suggest you hop on NOW!

Is anyone else loving this series as much as I? & How prepared should I be for Heir Of Fire?

.

Post a Comment