Brightside by Kim Holden Review -- I Want A Refund.

Genre(s): New Adult, Contemporary
Released: July 4, 2014 
Publisher: Do Epic LLC
Pages: 423
Source: Amazon
Rating:




Secrets. 

Everyone has one. 

Some are bigger than others. 

And when secrets are revealed, 

Some will heal you ... 
And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you … 
And some will end you.


AW guys, don't hug me all at once, I know you've missed me!
Okay but no, all jokes aside, it feels so freaking good to be talking to you all again. As I'm sure you've noticed, it's been pretty quiet here at fangirlconfessions, (in other words: I've been MIA) and I promise I have a legit explanation . . Meet Sir Blogging Slump. That's right, I've suffered from a blogging and an extremely fickle reading slump for the ENTIRE month of February. I don't even know what caused it. I just remember waking up one day not really wanting to do anything. I didn't want to tweet about books, post pictures about books, talk about books, think about books, write reviews, read arcs, blog hop, NOTHING. Anything pertaining to blogging I wanted no parts of. It freaked me out of course because I absolutely love blogging, but . . I just felt so tired you know? Burnt out even. On the other hand, It was the break I needed and now I'm back. I'm not sure if it's " better than ever, " but it's a start and we're rolling with it. 

Now, let's get down to business

.

REVIEW

A Complete Waste Of Time & Precious Brain Cells 
never trust a book that has a near perfect rating on Goodreads. It'll kill you . .
No seriously.

.

When I was little I used to have this Barbie. She came with this ugly ass plaid outfit, and I knew I didn't want her, but hey, mama ain't raise no ungrateful babies. Anywho, she had a button you could press on her back, and every time you did she would say, " Hey, I'm Barbie, something, something, something, " and OMG yall, it was the most annoying thing ever! I got so tired of hearing her say the same thing over and over again, I ended up bashing her head against the edge of my dresser until finally, she no longer had a damn thing to say. (RIP Barbie). Brightside reminded me ALOT of this Barbie. Could I bash it's head against something to make it STFU -- to make it go away? Nope, and that was the problem.

She Puts The "Ass" In Massive.
Kate Sedgwick, surfer chick from California. We know very little about her, but what we do know is that she's perfect. She moves to Minnesota to attend college, bringing her outdated slang and DIY t-shirts with her. After skimming a ton of reviews, I've noticed that I'm the only reader who thought she was original. No one seemed to like the fact that she was 19 but read like she was 12, (which was super adorable) or that her vocabulary only seemed to consist of " dude, righteous, or stoked. " I mean hello guys she's a California native! Don't they all speak like they're stoners from the early 90's? It was pretty clear why everyone put her on such a high pedestal. When she wasn't talking about her love for black coffee every five seconds, (no sugar, no cream that's not original) she was busy being the perfect friend, the perfect role model, the perfect person who had all of this positivity to spread in the world. She was an, I'll-drown-you in-cotton-candy-rainbows-and cute-puppies type of asshole and incredibly judgemental, but hey I loved her for that!

I'm obviously spreading on the sarcasm pretty thick here.

Dude Three's So Not A Crowd.
Don't we all love unintentional love triangles? I most certainly do, (rolls eyes) and Kate's three-way was like watching a throwback episode of Laguna Beach, full of unnecessary drama and other not-so-awesome thangs. For one, her friend/relationship with her bestfriend Gus, was by far the weirdest shit I've ever witnessed in my life. From page one, it was pretty clear they were sickeningly in love with each other, but I guess playing the we-had-sex-but-bro-you're-still-my-bro game, was something the author wanted to achieve. It was just so . . strange. Keller, Kate's unimportant love interest, didn't make things any better. When he wasn't busy going into Cardiac Arrest when he seen her . . well, that's pretty much all he ever did. Their infatuation with each other kicked off pretty quickly, and with no real connection built between the two, it basically ended up being insta-love. Everyone worshiped the ground Kate walked on, so yep, no surprise there.

The Grand Canyon.
You know things have gone to shit when you can tap an author on their shoulder and say, " umm, did you forget what you said in the beginning of the story orrrr? " In other words, this book had MAJOR plot holes and inconsistencies. I think Kim spent so much time throwing everything from the kitchen sink into this novel, that she forgot to tie up a few loose ends causing the entire plot to be all over the place. It was bad enough the story had sooo much unnecessary shit going on, and to add things that didn't make any sense was enough to make me walk straight off a cliff.

It honestly baffles me that this story is praised so highly, especially since I viewed it as a complete shitshow. I was bothered by so many things, the immature writing, the inauthentic connections between any of the characters, the lack of research and poor depiction of Cancer and Bulimia, I mean my list goes on and on and on and on . . you get the point.

Brightside lowered my IQ and ended up being a bright pain in my ass. 
I'm going back to binge watching The Walking Dead. 

Screw this. 

.



Post a Comment