Just When I Thought Nothing Was Worst Than Zenith

Break Line | Sarah Green
Released: September 28th, 2017
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 288
Source: Kindle Unlimited
Rating:



Emery Lawson was on the path to follow her dad’s footsteps. Going pro in surfing had always been the plan. The dream.
Until it wasn’t.
Now, at nineteen, everyone thinks Emery is done surfing and, aside from two of her best friends, no one knows the truth. Emery hasn’t stopped surfing. What was once her dream is now her little secret.
But if she wants to go pro, that secret is going to have to come out.
Twenty-two-year-old Sebastian “Bash” Cleaton has worked hard to get to where he is. For eight years he’s never had a day off, never taken a vacation. He is the best in his sport for a reason. But the passion that once drove him to chase the waves is missing. And Bash—Bash is tired.
When he escapes for a recharge in a small beach town, he never expects to crash into a girl who introduces him to a new life.

Secrets, hardships, and relationships come out of this debut tale of starting over and never letting go of your dreams.





As of late, I've been in a heavy mood for nothing but romances. I just wanted to read all the good new adult, and after finishing (and loving) Ghosted by J.M Darhower, I felt the need to immediately dive into another book in the genre, hoping to see if I could strike gold once again. Problem is, I didn't. I was robbed of my gold, my time, the little patience I do have, along with a few brain cells, and I shall be using this review to get them the hell back.

So, I need everyone to have a seat, I have alot to get off of my chest and we all know how that goes.


What piqued my interest with Break Line were the extremely high ratings it has on Goodreads. The story is created by a bookstagrammer by the name of Sarah Green, so I figured alot of the support were from friends and or family, however, that didn't deter me from picking it up. I went in pretty excited, loaded with all types of expectations, and was left extremely disappointed to the point I actually felt pissed lol.

I don't think I've ever mentioned this here on the blog, but I'm a huge fan of surfers. I've never wanted to surf or anything, (water and I don't mix) but watching movies, documentaries, or reading about them, is definitely my jam. (Hello Laguna Beach and Blue Crush) In Break Line, we follow the POV of our two main characters Emery and Bash. One thing I thought I was going to enjoy but didn't, was their backstory. Emery, the daughter of a legendary surfer, is well on her way to the top until she is involved in a tragic (wait until ya'll hear that shit) accident within the water, causing her to quit . . or so we think. Then we have Bash, a rising star himself who loses all motivation to surf, so he decides to take a permanent vacation to Florida, leaving his life and apparently, his gold digging parents behind in California. Interesting enough right? Except for the part where Emery is a complete asshole, and Bash is . . just Bash. He was pretty irrelevant actually.

Winning dickhead of the year, Emery Lawson is pretty much why this book ended up being so unbearable. (amongst other things of course.) I noticed how other readers labeled her as strong, fierce, funny, etc, but really she was insensitive af, rude for no reason at all, and a pain in my entire ass. I'm not big on calling characters immature, especially if they're younger than me, but there's really no other way to put it. At 19 years old, she read like she was 5 and what made it so bad, this was actually intentional.

" I do act like a child. But what's wrong with not growing up when you can be young forever? "



Many things sis, many things. 

Oddly, the characters themselves added absolutely nothing to the story that's based solely on their lives, which is probably due to the fact that they were underdeveloped. Insta lust quickly turns into a full-blown relationship, and outside of that, we didn't get much else. Emery was more focused on sticking her nose in other people's business, that it really became her entire storyline. Poor Bash played the background to whatever Emery was doing, so we don't really get the chance to see who he is as a character. He literally could've been white paint on the wall, we know it's there because it's paint obviously, but that's boring, and well, you get my point. I felt his storyline should've been the most interesting, but instead, he existed only to attend parties with his girlfriend and to take a backseat when she harassed his best friend over nothing. Like what are you even here for? Anywho, I just wanted to connect with someone, anyone, but nope. Too much to ask apparently.

Another hard blow was the writing. It was very fanfiction-esque, mixed with a little Real Housewives of whiteness, and with all the ridiculousness added to it, I was pretty much sent over the edge. The inconsistencies within the story were so extreme, even the plot holes were ankle fucking breaking, and for a book to be based on surfing, the author spent ZERO time describing the actual art of the sport, but more on shit like eye color, (melted silver, metal-grey, storm colored clouds) and penis licking. Nothing made much sense either. From the author's play on mental illness, (see EXHIBIT A) to the god awful shark attack, (see EXHIBIT B HURRY I NEED SOMEONE TO LAUGH WITH) down to the cringy sex scenes, (GAG) and finally ending with the reveal of Emery's unnecessary secrets. It's as if the author gathered up everything she could think of, started writing, caught amnesia, and left it at that. Like, what happens next sis?

EXHIBIT A

In the beginning of the book, two characters are suffering from mental illnesses.
The author doesn't flat out declare this, but in the manner in which they were written leads you to assume, so I'll tread lightly here. In a scene where we first meet Bash, he's stretched out on the couch with a bottle of medication sitting on the table. He mentions that what he's currently feeling is " something he's dealt with his entire life, " and that the past few months have been the worst. It even takes his friend Dez to come over, force him to take the pills, and to get out of the house. It sounded to me like maybe he was depressed? But, he eventually meets Emery, and that's it. He's magically okay. We hear nothing else of his medication. Why he was taking it? What is the " something " he's been dealing with? The second situation is similar as well. Nori, Emery's cousin, seems to be suffering from an eating disorder, or just an intense amount of stress. It was already told that she hasn't been eating and was overworking herself by training too hard, so when the concerning scene arrives with her fainting, I needed some answers. A mutual friend who carried her, says to Emery that he felt as if she lost weight because she was incredibly thin. He's scared even, this too was brushed off:

" Fucking hell Emery. Your cousin is killing herself! You should be concerned if I didn't care. "
" I don't think she's killing herself. She's forgetting to eat and has an extreme metabolism. "

Nothing else comes from this though. No one asks how she's doing, checks to make sure she's eating, NOTHINGGGG. Besides an adult character stating how " too skinny " Nori was towards the middle-end of the book, the situation happened, then it didn't. I just want to know the point of all ya know? Unfortunately, without clarification from the author, we're left in the dark.

EXHIBIT B

I threw this in here because I'm sick, and this scene sent me into a coughing fit, so yes I'm laughing to keep from crying at this point

 " But I'm a Lawson and even getting attacked by a shark isn't keeping me from atleast trying to fight back. The jaw loosens a little, so I shove my fist into his snout the same time I stab a finger in one of the eyes "

Me:


iM n0t SaYing It'S iMPosSiBlE doNT @ mE, but being attacked by not one, but two sharks at the same time? 

It's as if the author saw the second post and said " okay let me grab my pen. Number 1. stick fist in snout. Number 2. poke eye with finger. REMINDER: Just one though, not two. " 

I . . . I don't even know about life anymore apparently.

* opens new tab *
google.com/search?qhow+to+sue+for+emotional+distress *

This was just a hot ass mess. I'm done dragging books for yall lol.  


1 comment

  1. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine medication used to prevent and control seizures in adults and children. It is also used to treat panic disorder in adults. Klonazepam can cause physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms if stopped suddenly. It is important to inform your doctor of any medical conditions you have, as Klonazepam can affect the heart and lungs and should not be used in people with certain health problems. Buy Klonopin online

    ReplyDelete